Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Why this Blog?

As we approach the one hundred year anniversary of the founding of the Girl Scouts of the U.S.A., I approach the final months of writing my biography of Juliette Gordon Low. March 12, 1912, was the day that Daisy Low brought together eighteen girls in her native Georgia to fulfill her optimistic announcement: "I have something for the girls of Savannah, and all of America, and all the world, and we're going to start it tonight!"

During this summer of 2010 and my sabbatical year that follows, I will devote nearly all of my time to completing the book. I hope this blog will be a chronicle of the writing process, a way to share discoveries with readers and to learn from your comments. I welcome ideas and suggestions from everyone--Girl Scouts, historians, journalists, sociologists, biographers, and anyone else interested in this most fascinating woman.

I must give full and grateful credit to fellow Theodore Roosevelt scholar, Prof. Lori Lyn Bogle, whose fantastic blog has inspired me--imitation being the sincerest form of flattery, after all!

2 comments:

  1. I just found this blog and am very excited about the book. I can't wait to read it, as I find JGL a fascinating woman. I will enjoy reading the blog entries until the book comes out.

    I am also going to look for your books on the Roosevelts. TR is my favorite president.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jess--
    Thank you so very much for your kind comments! I really appreciate your taking the time to write. I hope that you enjoy the Roosevelt books!

    ReplyDelete